Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Apple Butter

Apples were on sale last week at my neighborhood market, so I grabbed 4 bags of them and tried out apple butter in the crock pot, and used my new canning skills to preserve it.

Luckily for me, a friend of mine has one of those peeler/corer things and let me borrow it, saving me probably an hour peeling and slicing. If I continue to make apple butter, I must buy one.


I also got to use my mortar and pestle for the first non-spell time to crush the cloves. I have had it probably 6-7 years and have never used it in a cooking capacity!


Here is the recipe:
Fill a 5 qt crock pot to overflowing with peeled, sliced apples sprinkle over 4 c sugar, 2 t ground cinnamon, 1/4 t ground cloves, and 1/4 t salt
put lid on and cook on high for one hour
(if the lid wont fit on tightly that's ok, it cooks down very quickly)
after an hour, stir and turn down to low for 9 hours
(leave lid off for the last hour for thicker apple butter)
ladle into 4 pint jars, lid and refrigerate if using right away, or boil in a water bath canner for 10 minutes to preserve.


Super easy, super delicious, and great as a gift! My sister had English muffins waiting when I brought her down a jar.
H.W.




No comments:

Merry Meet, Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again...

free web page counter
Get a free hit counter here.